So if you caught yesterday’s pictures, Little Man has started eating some solid (well, as solid as you can call baby food) foods! Super Dad was anxious for him to have is first meal (pictured yesterday) so the big day arrived on September 5th and we started off on a bad foot when I overfed him and he had much tummy distress the rest of the day. I was scared off after that and we didn’t start feeding him again until his half birthday (like I’d originally intended!)
He’s eaten like a champ from day one! Seriously, way more food goes down the hatch than on the bib and he often grabs at his spoon and shoves it into his mouth! That’s my kid, a rocket scientist!!
So far he’s had
- sweet pototoes – eats willingly but didn’t seem to really enjoy
- summer squash – absolutely loves and wants more more more
- banana – is weirded out that they are lumpier than what he’s used to
- green peas and brown rice – ate willingly but didn’t seem to really enjoy
- avacodo – I don’t think it was ripe because Super Dad said it was really bitter. This was our first experience with serious bitter beer face, fake coughing, and spitting it out. I have to admit that I tried to feed him more than I should have just because his reaction was so hysterical. Mom of the year, I’m not
- Peaches – likes more than the green peas and brown rice, but not super thrilled
Next we’re going to try green beans and then apples and then I’m not sure where we’ll go from there. I have a bunch of jars of baby food to use up and then I intend to make all of our own food – I started him on the organic jarred food just to have some jars to store the food that we’ll make in. Unfortunately I forgot to cancel my Subscribe and Save subscription (which I signed up for to save an extra 15%) and so instead of 16 jars, I now have 32. Oops.
I was looking at the jarred food at Wal-mart just to get an idea of other foods to try with him and was HORRIFIED that they have macaroni and cheese baby food and other “junk food” sounding flavors. I guess I thought at this age that we’re supposed to be trying to get as much nutrition and good stuff in them as possible to pave better rounded preferences for the future? Or is that a bunch of bull? Or the strawberry honey etc combos? Aren’t those foods we’re supposed to avoid before a year? 5 Berry Medly and no information about whatthe 5 berries are? So if they have an allergic reaction, we have no clue what caused it? Yep, feeling better and better about attempting to make his food for him!
I don’t even cook for myself (seriously, I make a sandwich and call it “cooking dinner”), so that should definitely be an adventure….
Ideas for more ymmy foods for an early eater to try? Good sites other than wholesomebabyfood.com to check out? Your kiddos favorite and least favorite foods? Fill me in, mommies!!