I’ve really been struggling to get into the Christmas spirit this year, which is really bumming me out! I usually have at least 1/2 my presents bought by now and a dozen ideas of what to get next and this year, I am just blaaah. I’m blaming it on stress and sickness (and having no clue what I myself want for Christmas, which is very very odd!) so I figured maybe if I did a Christmas meme (and entered to win a $1000 Gamestop gift card!) that might put me into the holiday spirit. Worth a try, right?
Mama’s Holiday Wish List Meme
1. What is your holiday wish for your family? This one is simple – good health! Between my worries over Mason’s head shape (his next follow-up is next week) and our endless coughing/sneezing/pink eye/pneumonia, I am SO ready to just be a healthy little family again that’s not doing drops, pills, breathing treatments, and oral antibiotics!
2. What is your Christmas morning / Hanukkah Nightly tradition? We don’t really have any big traditions, other than starting with our stockings first, so I’d really like to make some now that we have a little one! I’m guessing it’s going to pretty much stay the same – waking up and doing stockings, opening gifts, going to Grandma and Grandpa B’s for gifts and Christmas lunch, but I’d love to incorporate something more into there. When WeeMan gets a little older, I’m sure the “Look, Santa ate all the cookies!” will become part of the Christmas morning tradition!
3. If you could ask Santa for one, completely decadent wish for yourself, what would it be? A week long stress free vacation to somewhere sunny, warm, and full of tropical beaches, along with an endless budget to play and relax as I want!
4. How do you make the holidays special without spending any money? Our big somewhat free holiday tradition is driving around looking at Christmas lights. Yes, we have to buy gas, but considering we spend many hours and many nights on a single tank gas, it’s so worth it. We have specific houses and parks that we are sure to hit every year and it’s great quality time just focusing on us and the beauty of the holiday season. Giving Wee Man’s aversion to the car at night, we’re going to continue to tradition with our dogs (who LOVE car rides) this year and Mason will get some quality holiday time with his Grandmas!
5. What games did you play with your family growing up? Every now and then, we would play Battleship, but other than that, none really. My family wasn’t much of a game playing family. My parents were likely to be plunked down in front of the TV or working and I would be reading. I really look forward to being a more hands-on parent with Mason!
6. What holiday tradition have you carried on from your own childhood? Nothing really. My family didn’t make a huge deal AT ALL out of the holidays, so no real traditions except for a basic belief of Santa. We’d be out of town over Christmas but come home to presents that weren’t there when we left! How could we NOT believe?!) and I hope to make Santa a magical mysterious experience for Mason as well.
7. Where would you go for a Christmas/Hanukkah-away-from-home trip? When I was little, we’d travel to Milwaukee every year to visit relatives. My brother and I would stay with my grandparents and my parent’s would stay at a hotel. My parents would show up at about 10 am and leave around 9 pm, so the mornings were just me and my brother and Grandma! I loved those 4 days at Grandma’s!
8. Check out GameStop and tell us, what are the three top items on your GameStop Wish List this year?
Active2 Bundle for the Wii – I had Active1 on reserve at the library for like 8 months and when it finally came, I had given birth to Mason a week earlier. Talk about bad timing!
Bejeweled 3 for the PC (I LOVE this game!!)
An XBox360 with Kinnect because it looks so awesome!
So there you have it! I’ll probably talk about it more in a future post, but I’m really looking forward to scrapping my boring “This Christmas, we opened presents and then watched TV” childhood and making Christmas a magical and special time for our whole family. And hopefully a sickness free one too!