Mason and his family live in Small Town, Wisconsin. Mason is your typical little boy (born March 16 2010) and I’m his 31 year old tech-geek animal loving mom! I started this blog as Mason’s “baby book” when he was born, but it’s evolved into much more than that.
If you would have asked me five years ago if I would ever have kids, I would have laughed and told you “No way!” Before Mason came along, I had never so much as changed a diaper! Blogging and the community that comes with it has helped me on my parenting journey more times than I can count!
We both work full time. I’m a veterinary assistant in a very busy vet clinic, a job I love after spending most of my work-life in retail or office management. I’m a working mother by choice and since Mason is destined to be an only child, the interaction with other kids at daycare is great for him and working is great for me.
I also have a part-time job at a bookstore, where I work a whopping eight hours a month. I started working there when I began Dave Ramsey’s “Total Money Makeover” (which I would totally recommend!) in 2007 and I’ll never leave! It’s the perfect hobby job for me, as I LOVE to read. Mason loves my two bookstore shifts as they mean a day at Grandma’s!
We also love animals and we share our home with a two retired racing greyhounds and an elderly kitty. Our animals are our family to us and I still miss our cat and dog that passed away in 2011. I use to be the fundraising coordinator for my local animal shelter and I’m active in Greyhound Rescue and adoption and my Facebook friends are probably sick of me posting more about animals than what is going on with me and my human family. That’s just how I am.
I’m horrible at these things, so let’s finish up with some random facts:
- We live in the sticks, so no Target, Sam’s Club, Starbucks, etc. I’m insanely jealous of people who can just “run to” any store other than Wal-mart.
- We’re raising Mason in the same small town we grew up in
- I don’t follow any sports and I’m horrible at video games
- I am a firm believer in free-range parenting and can’t wait until Mason is old enough to hop on his bike and ride to a friend’s house
- I’ve been reading blogs since 1997 (back when they were known as “online journals”) and this is the fourth blog I’ve written since discovering them.
- I took a semester off from college trying to figure out what I wanted to “do” with myself and now nearly 11 years have went by. I have over 80 credits towards a bachelor’s degree and one of these days, I’m going to go back and finish it.
- My “style” is jeans and a t-shirt or hoodie. I’d much rather dress up in a giant animal costume and make people laugh than wear a dress to a fancy dinner. I’m not sure what that means, but maybe you do.
- I’m an obsessive researcher. If it costs more than $10 and isn’t edible, you’ll probably find me online reading reviews and asking for recommendations. I spent 6 months researching carseats before settling on Mason’s current Britax Marathon….
- I’m the first of my friends to have a kid, but several of my friends had babies recently